Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Final Blog

I remember starting my first day at EMU's aviation program two years ago not really knowing of what I was getting myself into.  Throughout my two year career here at EMU I have learned a lot and it has really made me realize how broad aviation industry can be.  Going back to my first introduction blog about me finally getting employed with Delta airlines this past summer has been a dream come true for me.  I've always had a passion for working inside an airport, being around people, and working for a major air carrier.  My career plans have not really changed since the beginning of the semester.  Hopefully when I earn my bachelors this spring I will continue to pursue my career with Delta Airlines and work my way up to an upper management position one day.

A lot has influenced me throughout the class this semester.  This class has been really fun and at the same time interesting.  The blog topics that we've discussed over the weeks were beneficial and having to talk about them and sharing our thoughts with our classmates is what made the class more interesting.  Having guest speakers also come to our class was also another great influence because with them coming from the aviation industry and talking to us about there everyday duties and how they pursued their career goals helped give us an idea of what to expect once we graduate.

For me I think that the most interesting blog topic was the article about "How Can We Compete 7 Plus Ways To Level The Playing Field."  The reason I chose this blog topic was being probably the only management student in the course this semester it really talked about the business side of aviation in depth.  Since I'm also taking minor business classes along with aviation classes here at EMU I was able to relate the topic with the business classes.  The least favorite of my topic was the NPRM that's going to make changes because of the Buffalo accident that occurred a few years ago.

For me I think that all the guest speakers that we had this semester were all interesting and it was great to have them all come to our class and share their experience with us.  But if I had to choose of the bunch I would choose the two ladies from the Detroit Metro TRACON.  ATC has always been an interest to me, and with them coming and giving us a presentation behind the scenes of what's going on made me that much more interested, and who knows maybe one day I could end up leaving Delta and work inside the tower at Detroit Metro.  Another guest speaker who was also one of my favorites was Mark Johnson manager of Livingston County Airport.  Going into the management side of aviation I was able to gain a lot of information from him and what he does.

After graduation I hopefully will continue working with Delta Airlines and reach my life long career dream of becoming and upper management personal.  I've been there for half a year now but it seems like just yesterday I was in the credentials office filling out paperwork, going through extensive screening and a background check to earn my DTW badge.  Working within the airport has always been a dream of mine and being employed with one of the best if not the best U.S air carrier is a dream come true.  Other then working for an major airline I would like to pursue my career one day with working within the Wayne County Airport Authority.  Taking AVT 315 Airport Management this semester and having a professor who comes from that profession field has really influenced me in a great way.


1 comment:

  1. I agree that Mark Johnson was a good presenter. I got much from his presentation. Delta is a great career path. Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete